5/9/12

I have to wait how long to pay my bill??


I stared at my daunting to-do-list that seemed to stretch on for a mile. Taking a deep breath, I carefully gathered my shopping list, bank card and electric/water bill and set off. The plan was to quickly run errands, get home with enough time to complete the rest of the list at home and make food for the cats before heading out to study with Haja. First stop, pay the bill. Rounding the corner, I caught a glimpse of the line of people. It wound and curled its way around the countyard, which appeared to be just a mass of people instead of a line. I reluctantly took my place at the end of the line and began fishing around in my bag for my mp3 player, all the while wondering if this was worth it and considered returning the next day, even if that would mean paying it late. This is not how I wanted or planned to spend my day. After shuffling around in my bag for a while I realized my mp3 player was the one thing I had forgotten. As I stood there considering the options, I saw one of the teens in line 10 or 15 people in front of me. Catching eyes, we grinned at each other. The next thing I knew, he moved back to stand in line with me. Two hours later, after talking about everything under the sun, we were finally at the head of the line paying our bills. As I climbed on the ‘taxi be’ to continue my errands, I knew I would have to scratch the to-do-list. But maybe the list wasn’t all that important anyway. I could do it all another day. Surprisingly, instead of wishing the day had worked out differently, I felt loved by God and thankful for the blessings he had given me that day. Two hours of doing absolutely nothing other than talking to one of my friends was just what I needed after a crazy weekend. And who doesn’t want to practice Malagasy anyway??

Gratitude:
10. No bake chocolate oatmeal cookies
11. Six kittens sitting on my lap as I work
12. Cold weather and being able to wear a hoodie
13. The thrift clothes market where you can get just about anything for an amazing price if you dig and barter.
14. Friends, both Malagasy and from back home, who always make me laugh and encourage me to love God with all that I am.
15. Hanging out with two of the girls in town and how they showed me how to get pictures printed here.
16. The country that God has placed me in.
17. A successful visit with the landlord when she stopped by
18. The many people who call out “hi Tara!” as I walk to Pastor D’s house, many of them, I have no idea who they are, but everyone still seems to know my name

1 comment:

Christa Heiser said...

Those "forced pauses" can be such a blessing when we recognize them! :) Love hearing about your days!